PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for UUWW
Thread: Tips for UUWW
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 18:10
DA50driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uuww Ils

Be configured flaps approach and gear down on base leg, respect the 180 knot maximum, fire up the old ADF and hold whatever heading you were on when he told you to "Descend 400 meters, turn final and contact tower". Descend to 400 meters on current heading. When your ADF is 10 degrees off the final course, start a 20 to 25 degree bank onto the localizer. Allow for wind corrections and turn the autopilot off.
I get seasick from pilots letting that thing chase the loc. Your autopilot was designed for western parameters, which includes a no more than 30 degree intercept to loc. If you start a turn as soon as he says turn final you may be above the GS by the time you hit the loc. In western terminology he is saying "Maintain present heading, intercept the loc, Cleared for the approach".
I asked a Russian pilot how to do this, and it works very well.
A couple of weeks ago the ILS for 6 was not available (I think for controller amusement purposes). Two NDB approach to minimums, OE-??? ahead of us went missed. We landed, and the OE plane came back for another try. Controller is trying to help out by telling him 200m right of track, 100m left and so forth. OE-??? tells the controller to "Shut Up". I just about cracked up, but you could hear the stress in the guys voice. Maybe more emphasis needs to be put on hand flying and NDB approaches if you are going to Russia?