PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 18:57
babymike737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I came across this thread by accident, whilst searching for something else regarding recruitment. (Anyone know if or when Virgin are recruiting, and how you apply?) and I have been completely hooked on reading each and every post.

I was once a CPL/IR 250 hour pilot, dreaming of sitting in the right hand seat of a shiny Boeing jet. Then 2000 CV's later, and still no reply from those dudes from Cameroon looking for an F/O in a Cargo converted HS748, flying goats up the valley, and dodging anti-aircraft fire, (actually sounds like fun), I decided to get a Flight Instructor rating.

I was an instructor at a flying club which was part of an airport, and as a result, many airline pilots came around to the club for toasties and coffee before and after work. Eventually, I had a big break, as many other of my instructor colleagues did previously, and landed a jet job, after just 9 months instructing.

I'm nobody special. I didn't pass all my exams and tests first time! I wasn't even that great an instructor! I was luckier than 6 of my instructor colleagues in the fact that I got a 737 job straight away whilst they got ATR jobs, but now they are all on A319's or 737's now.

It is about being in the right place at the right time, and about knowing people. But you can create that for yourself. Don't get a job down a garden centre, or behind a bar, like some of my mates have after training. If you really want that job, you've got to GO TO IT. It won't come to you, with 250 hours. Like many here have said, drop jumpers, instruct, polish bloody planes, serve coffee to passengers, but whatever you do, stay in aviation on a daily basis. Choose a flying club within an airport that has regional props or loco jets flying in and out of it. You may have to move. If you want it that bad, do it! Don't pick a flying club in mid wales with a 1200ft runway and 3 tomahawks you won't meet enough people in the right positions. And be nice. Have a gentle and careful attitude (Vito!) I understand your frustrations, but if you're going to be like that after 6 months looking for a job, man, I would hate to be sitting next to you for 12 hours a day, experiencing some of the **** we have to put up with on line! Just smile, be happy, and be liked, and you might get the nod!
(It's nice to be important. But its more important to be nice)

Good Luck All