PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is this you???
Thread: Is this you???
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2007, 09:39
Flypuppy

Chieftan o'the Pudden Race

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The biggest problem I see among pilots is disrespect to other professions. I have seen this for many years. Pilots tend to consider themselves Gods but this is far away from true and if you try walking in other shoes you will quickly realize that
I am not sure where this perception is coming from. I don't see it on this thread and I can't say I have seen it with any pilots when we have had this discussion in the real world.

There will always be the insecure chiseller who will define themselves by their occupation - but that is true of any occupation.

Flying is still the safest form of transport - a taxi driver or truck driver or motorcycle courier is more likely to be killed whilst working than a professional airline pilot.
Flying is indeed safe, and why would that be? Without a doubt it is a team effort but it is the pilots who are the last line of defence when all the other failsafes have failed.

Therefore I think that pilots should really think themselves lucky that they are being well paid to do a job they love
Are we to understand that if you do a job you love you should be paid less for it? Here we have the nub of the issue. Too many people have this conception about being a pilot, from the average bloke in the street through to the CEO of an airline that T&Cs have been so heavily eroded and any strike action by pilots will be met with no sympathy from the travelling public. After all pilots all earn a six figure salary and have hot and cold running hosties to look after their every desire...