PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cadets - Contract info - (Please dont merge with 'Ryanair' Thread)
Old 27th Sep 2007, 08:15
The Loan Arranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Are You For Real's" post is very informative and anyone considering applying for a type rating with this organisation should give the matter serious thought before applying.

Having been an experienced turboprop captain for several years with a UK domestic airline I foolishly left to follow a desire to fly a nice new shiny jet for a little more money.

The type rating went well, the base training went well and the line training went well. I met some really nice line training Captains who were helpful and excellent trainers.

I was unfortunately "chopped" on a base check by a rather unsavoury "trapper" who was known to be that way inclined. I never saw it coming and had no leg to stand on the way the contract was written.

Now I might be completely barking up the wrong tree and just unlucky on the day but the thought crossed my mind that during the very same month the position of a senior first officer for new entrants (to which I had been appointed) was abolished. Cadets are much much cheaper!

From experience on the type rating course I saw a number of people struggling and having to do extra training - at a cost of around £1500 per hour in the sim ( and we're not talking just the odd hour or so).

There were a noticeable number of names (crew Codes) that I knew on the training courses that I never saw make it on to any of the base rosters.

I do have reservations regaring the type rating courses being offered - I think that money is being made out of genuine wannabees.

Once on line I can honestly say flying the 737 was great fun - although the more hands on and short sector days on the turboprop were even better. You have to do it know!

Ryanair was an unhappy and oppresive place to work - nobody seemed happy there. There was a general feeling of big brother watching you and you had better not step out of line.

You felt very undervalued as an employee - I simply could not believe that they don't even give you a free cup of cofee or tea when flying a long 4 sector day - all you get is a plastic cup filled with hot water! You have to bring with you your own tea bags or coffee supplies!! ( you might get a sachet of milk if lucky).

I'am now back flying a regional turboprop again. I'am glad I did what I did - I worked the jet syndrome out of the system and can see now that the grass is definately not greener on the other side.

I am not having a gripe about Ryanair - I went into it eyes wide open and am a better pilot having experienced what I did.

I hope my words are of use to some of you contemplating applying for a type rating course.

I'am not saying don't do it - just be very careful what you are getting into and if there are other alternatives don't dismiss them in favour of the perceived dream job on a 737 -800!