PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA refuse to help its membership
View Single Post
Old 26th Sep 2007, 16:21
Night Watchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My colleagues and I are, arguably, more likely to take ourselves off flying duty if we think safety is compromised.
Interesting point that one and it's one that comes up on our units all the time. I would argue that because you are a SAR/medical/police asset you are in fact under MORE pressure to go on shift particularly if there is no one else to cover for you. In the North Sea I wouldn't think twice about phoning in sick or taking an aircraft off line because a flight to a rig is not that important. But if you know that by not going into work or by snagging an aircraft then your emergency asset is not available then you start questioning yourself as to whether you are sick or not and the old 'It'll be alright' line starts.

Interestingly, it could be argued that the advent of 2 pilot ops would actually make onshore ops LESS safe and effective; them-and-us relations twixt drivers and CAA-agreed pax leading to poor CRM environment compared to current practice, aircraft operating closer to the boundaries of the flight envelope...
Can't agree with that... we operate 4 crew and believe me we operate extremely close to the flight envelope but we work happily as a team without issues.