PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Cadets - Contract info - (Please dont merge with 'Ryanair' Thread)
Old 26th Sep 2007, 09:16
FMSData

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a FAQ that I was sent whilst enquiring with Ryanair. Hope it helps.

Frequently Asked Questions

Ryanair Cadets taking a Brookfield contract

The following should help to answer most of the questions you might ask about working on contract through our company at Ryanair.

Payments

From when will I start being paid?

You will receive payment for your services with effect from the start date which is agreed with Ryanair. This date will be communicated to you via crew.doc.

Who pays for my recurrent training?

The pilot has 4.5 euros per schedule block hour deducted from his salary payment as a contribution towards his bi-annual simulator training.

Does Brookfield deduct my tax?

Your contract clearly states “The pilot confirms his status as self employed/sole trader or engaged to the contractor through a limited company.”As with every self employed person you are obliged by law to submit a tax return and pay the relevant liability to the appropriate authority.

We strongly advise the pilot to use the services of a tax consultant in relation to the manner in which you meet your taxation liabilities. Whilst we are not in a position to recommend any particular company we are aware that a number of Brookfield pilots have successfully used the services of Bob Scanlon and Associates in Ireland. If you wish to use their services they can be contacted on [email protected].
For the avoidance of doubt Scanlon & Associates has no association with either Brookfield or Ryanair.

How much will I be paid?

Based

Captain – Euro 138.50 per schedule block hour

Cadets taking initial Brookfield contract
-Less than 500 JAR 25 hours – 60 Euro’s per scheduled block hour
-Greater than 500 but less than 1500 hours JAR25 – 80 Euro’s per scheduled block hour
-Greater than 1500 JAR25 hours – 75 Euro’s per scheduled block hour

Away from base allowance - 20 euros per scheduled block hour – only when flying out of base.

Non-based

Non based Captains 138.50 + 20 Euros per scheduled block hour

Non based First Officers / Cadets 60/80/85 (as applicable) +20Euros per scheduled block hour.

Instructors pay increments

If a pilot has an LTC or TRE qualification and is designated an LTC or TRE by the training department then the following rates shall apply per scheduled block hour for the duration of their appointment irrespective of if they are training or not:

RLTC - 4 euros per scheduled block hour
LTC - 12 euros per scheduled block hour
TRI - 6 euros per scheduled block hour
TRE - 12 euros per scheduled block hour

Simulator / Base training - 800 euros per training day

SFI First Officer - 450 euros per Sim session)

On what date will I receive my payment?

Payments are made to contract pilots between the 10th and 12th of every month, for duties performed in the preceding calendar month.

OPERATING FOR RYANAIR

When will I know when and where I will be based?

Your base will be allocated by Ryanair at the time of your official start date for your Brookfield contract. This will be according to where the current demand for pilots will be, however, your own preferences will be taken into consideration and ultimately most pilots get to operate from the base of their choice. You can submit a base transfer request via crew.doc.

What is the working pattern?

The standard working pattern for based contract pilots is 5 days on followed by 4 days off when operating from an assigned base. If you non-based, the pattern is generally, 5 on and 5 off. These patterns are not contractually guaranteed, but as a general rule this is the way the schedule works.

I understand that I receive an extra 20 euros per scheduled block hour for when I am working away from my base. How often is that likely to be?

This will vary depending on the time of the year and the general movement of pilots, acquisition of new aircraft and addition of new bases. However, about 80% on base / 20% away from base would be considered normal.

Is there a minimum guarantee of hours that I will be flying?

There is no minimum guarantee; however, generally speaking you can expect to fly up to 850 hours and to a maximum 900 hours per annum.

How many stand-by days do I need to be available for?

There should be no more than 4 stand-bys within a 28 day period.

Do I get staff travel?

You are able to travel on Ryanair free of charge for positioning or Ryanair business only, providing you are in uniform. It is not available for any other family members or for your own social purposes.

Command Upgrade

As a First Officer how many flying hours do I need in order to be considered for an upgrade to Captain?

You will need a minimum of 3000 hours total fixed-wing, a minimum of 1,500 hours B737 and also you will need to have been operating for Ryanair during one complete winter season.

Do I need to take Ryanair permanent employment in order to up-grade to Captain?

A Brookfield First Officer can take up a command position within Ryanair whilst remaining on a Brookfield contract; however he will be required to sign a command up-grade training bond (£5,000 sterling payable only if he departs within 2 years).

General

Do I have to pay a transfer fee if I change from Brookfield to Ryanair?

Pilots transferring to Ryanair permanent employment are required to pay a transfer fee to Brookfield Aviation of 2,500 euros, if Brookfield were involved in sourcing them initially.

How long is the notice period of the contract?

3 months either way.

How do I apply for leave?

Effective from that the 1st April 2008 onwards, you will only be required for eleven full calendar months by Ryanair. You will be able to submit a first, second and third choice for your full calendar month off, and a further 10 days can be requested on an individual basis through the Crewdoc system. I would like to clarify that this new system, whereby you nominate (subject to certain conditions) the full calendar month when you will be unavailable for work, will have no impact on your earning potential.

What about sick pay?

Sick pay is not applicable; however, there is a ‘compassionate payment scheme’ which allows for pilots to receive special payments in the event of personal trauma, bereavement, serious illness or injury. It must be clearly understood that this is not a sickness benefit scheme i.e. it does not apply to normal sickness such as flu, chest infections, ear infections etc.

Am I supplied with a uniform?

The pilot will only be permitted to fly if he/she is wearing a Ryanair uniform. It is the responsibility of the pilot to purchase and keep the uniform clean and in good condition.

How do I get my security clearances?

You will be responsible for providing references for obtaining your security/ID passes. You will have completed a five year reference check with a Reference Checking Agency during your type-rating course. Depending on which base you are allocated to you may be required to complete an additional five years check (for example Dublin). In this case you would need to contact the agency to extend your original reference checking.

What is the relationship between Brookfield Aviation and Ryanair?

Brookfield have been supplying contract pilots to Ryanair since 1994, and currently operates a large pilot pool. The pilot will be contracted to Brookfield; however, he will be entirely under the operational control of Ryanair. All issues relating to operational activities, basing, rosters, etc are between the pilot and Ryanair and issues of a commercial nature that affect the pilot are the responsibility of Brookfield Aviation.

How do I communicate with Ryanair with regard to receiving my schedule and relevant information?

All relevant information for Ryanair pilots is published on Crewdoc (www.crewdoc.com). You will have been given access to crew dock during your initial training and will have all the required documentation and information required to operate within the Ryanair network. Rosters are published every Friday and all communication between pilot and flight operations/flight crew scheduling is done via the Crewdoc system.

How do I communicate with Brookfield?

You can use the Crewdoc system to communicate with us. If you have a problem, log a query to Brookfield via Crewdoc.

Am I eligible for social benefits such as Health, Education and Welfare payments?

We at Brookfield engage your services on the understanding that all of the above are considered to be your responsibility and you make your own arrangements and pay for these services accordingly. We understand that many pilots wish to be accompanied by their spouse and family, however we engage only the pilot and take no responsibility for his/her dependants We do not support any applications for children’s schooling, treatment on the National Health Service (Medical or Dental) for the pilot or family.