PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Little Help for a Future Controller
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2007, 13:43
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CM wrote:

Learn to be a kiss a$$. Keep your mouth shut unless spoken to. Never disagree with your "superiors" even if you know they're wrong and you're right. Remember there's more to it than being good at the job - you have to be "one of the lads" socially too. (My experience is that's more important - I had some real w@nkers promoted over me and then fail Controllers courses). Never express an opinion - "yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir" is the order of the day.
Could read equally well for NATS, IF you get the wrong mentors (I say this not through experience, but having witnessed some of the cliques etc that are formed on watches within NATS). As Gonzo states, what CM says stands good stead in many professions, if you meet the wrong people.... the first 5 sentences of his rant can be transfered directly to NATS, and can actually help with promotion onto the first rung of management!

His penultimate sentence displays only his contempt for some people that he himself thought he was better than - a touch of bitterness there perhaps?

His final sentence in that paragraph can again be transferred straight over to NATS, but you may omit the "Sir"!

As the Little Welsh Looker (no, I am not saying I find ClearToFire attractive) states, look to other avenues as well... don't dismiss NATS even at your age, unless you want a bit of travel and adventure before trying for a more sedentary life in NATS later on.

Remember if succesful in the RAF, it does not neccesarily mean that you will be able to transfer to a civil controlling career when you want to have a bit more stable lifestyle in your later years - you will still have to do the college courses, and the older you get the harder it can be.

Good Luck with whatever you choose, remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion on these forums, just take any extreme opinions (either for or against the RAF option) with a pinch of salt.

Whilst I would not encourage you to take CMs writing as an accurate description of the way the RAF works, similarly I would not believe someone who claimed that life in the forces was totally perfect. Having seen both sides, I can assure you that each has is good and bad points.