PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - East Midlands Flying School
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 17:54
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about any ex-students of EMSF posting any funny stories as a sort of trip down memory lane. Here's one I can recall.

This must have happened late 1960s. In those days the ATC was, to say the least, somewhat lacking.

Frank Spencer (not the comedian but a very good ex RAF instructor) is in the circuit with a student in Cessna 150. We are all in the flying school listening in to Approach and the Red Arrows call for transit north to south through the overhead at circa 2,000 ft. ATC asks if they would like to go thru the overhead at low level (2-300 ft)? They reply in the affirmative so we are all outside to watch the impromptu display and they come across with smoke on etc - only trouble is Approach didnt notify the Tower so Frank gets the shock of his life when he's on short final pattering an approach when Arrow formation zoom across his bows with all the smoke.

The look on Franks face and the expletives he used when he was talking to ATC on the phone to complain had to be seen to be belived whilst the rest of us were suffering from unrestrained laughter! His student thought the lesson was the best ever!

Frank sent me on my first solo in 1968 at EMA on RW 28 (now 27) in a Chipmunk. He was certainly one of the best instructors ever and will be remembered by many and went on to set up the Spencer School of Flying at Tollerton later on.