PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAG
Thread: TAG
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 14:58
speech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you think it's hard to transfer from airline to corporate and vice versa?
For years the airline guys were looking down on corporate/business aviation pilots as if we were flying C150's without any rules.
I remember doing the favour of positioning an airline pilot on a ferry flight 20 years ago. He was quite surprised to see we even had Flight Directors on our Learjet !!!
For most of the old guard it hasn't changed. They are not even interested in our industry.
But now some of them realize how fun it is to fly 900hrs a year in a 1960's fashion cockpit, having to pay for your cup of tea. They think it might be better to fly 200-500hrs in a state-of-the-art technology cockpit, being served caviar before your seabass.
So they apply for a job in business aviation, thinking we will roll out the red carpet for them.
Why should we ? Because they have 5-10k hrs ? Most of them haven't even flown outside of europe, couldn't even understand a russian/thai/congolese/brazilian controller (no offense there, we all have different accents and just need to get used to them... ), haven't a clue of the amount and kind of work we have besides flying, etc...
Honestly, when I have to review a CV for possible employment, one from an active airline pilot will probably end up in the recycle bin. I would consider, however, someone who has already flown corporate/business. Having the right attitude is probably as important as experience and skill.
And, of course, recommendation from a friend is always very important.
Love this business ? Yes, but better with the right people.