PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 17:26
virgin dolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why I'm striking...!

Though one is not happy about striking I'm finding that the company is putting me in a position where I have to. (Flying for 14 years and now a CSS) I'm sick of turning up for flights and being crew down...no, no, no, I'm not interested in the £10, £20 for crew down I just want a full compliment of crew. What is wrong with that.....? Of course the Company have been getting away with this for years..Why.? because they could...! Our managers have targets to reach and a big bonus to collect by not putting crew on flights, saving on allowances down route and hotel beds and save weight. (sorry had to that one in). If a flight with two crew down can work.. of course under pressure but the customers get off happy and safety not compromised then why not. Its good for business but unfortunately not good for me or my colleagues.
Just had my pension forecast for when I'm 65 £6,500 "OH Dear...!" Why.. because I'm just pensioned on my basic pay...not flight pay and of course not down route allowances because thats to feed us. (which most people forget) Yes I'm one of them who has to save my allowances because I have a mortgage to pay. So I'm not really looking after myself and having to cut corners on food.
You may ask why does this dolly put up with this and leave Virgin..? I love my job, I get to travel, meet different people each time I'm come to work and have some time to lay in the sun. Of course this all comes with a price...Poor pay, jet lag and bad health but every job has a price to pay what ever they do.
My partner works for BA and holds the same position as me who is payed almost twice as much as me. Although Richard Branson thinks Virgin is better than BA, I have to agree traveling BA first and business class a lot. You start to think if BA is paying their staff X, and Pilots X (who earn more than Virgin pilots) and are making 7% profit margin. Where is Virgin's money going....? not on cabin crew thats for sure...!
Anyway I'm not talking about profits I'm talking about me and my colleagues who have had enough of poor pay, crew down and cut backs.
We as Virgin crew are now standing together for once which has taken a long time, we are not kids anymore we have homes, families to think about and of course our future.
I think I'm speaking for many crew now who just want a fairly good wage, good working environment and who can give a good product to our customers.

Regards Dolly