PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Housing allowance SIA Cargo
View Single Post
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 10:24
portquartercv67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOUSING ALLOWANCE
The discussion seems to center on two related issues: Is the amount enough and quality of living accomodation? It's all relative. What TI and undoubtedly many other locals (Captains, Foes, HR managers, Chief Pilots alike) don't realize, is that the ex-pats SIA hire are used to a certain standard of accomodation back home. It has nothing to do with if a HDB flat is "good enough" for us. Why would I take a job anywhere if I thought I would have to pay more than 15-20% of my pay for living accomodation of a standard I am not only used to but what I want? Why would I go down in standard of accomodation at this stage of my life? I have worked hard and been fortunate enough to be able to own and live in landed houses since 1974. I would not have come here if my salary would not support that standard.
Would TI take a job in a foreign country where his salary would allow him to only afford a standard of accomodation of say a kampong hut, assuming he is used to a HDB flat standard? I think not? Would an executive come to Singapore to take a job if he is used to a 10,000 sq/ft mansion at home and all his employer would give him in Singapore is enough to afford the level of the kind of house that I am living in here? I doubt it.
TI has also thrown out the race card. FYI TI, I'm the only white/round-eye on my street. Since coming here, I have not heard one word from ANY ex-pat that could even be considered remotely racist regarding locals. Does TI have a problem with people not of his ethnic origin?
Finally, my lease expires next Summer. If the rent goes up more than a $1000 or if that standard of accomodation somewhere else in SIN is not available within my budget (not SIA's), I'm outta here. Bond notwithstanding.
PQ

PS: To the pundits that claim we knew what we were getting into when we signed on the dotted line, so don't whine: There is no way we could have forseen a cost of housing increase of 30% a few years into our contracts, nor a deficit of 10-15% in earnings from that which was advertised.

Last edited by portquartercv67; 22nd Sep 2007 at 12:29.