PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmi Airbus lands with park brake on (Report)
Old 21st Sep 2007, 22:25
angrymanc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus lands with Park Brake set

I recall an incident identical to this back around 1992/3 on 27L at LHR. I was at the time an apprentice engineer with BA. I attended the scene to recover a Lufthansa A320, it had blown 3 of the 4 mainwheels (numbers 2, 3, & 4), and the 4th was not in a very good way. The 3 axles carrying the burst mainwheels also saw extreme damage to the brake units, worn completely flat through almost 50% of their diameter, the aircraft gouged 3 'trenches' down the runway, and took us several hours to clear, using crocodile jacks, main aircraft jacks, and bags, big mess, fortunately no-one was hurt, although the trolley dollies stood taking pictures of the one remaining inflated tire were lucky to escape harm as that one could have blown at any time.
It strikes me as ludicrous that you can select the park brake on whilst the aircraft is airborne, what purpose does that serve - maybe a pit stop in the sky ???? But that's airbus for you, I am currently a B2 certifier on these types and find many strange anolomies, another example is the RAT deploy switch, which is a guarded switch identical in size, shape, and action as well as very similar location to the emergency gen test switch, the only difference being colour of the guard. And on numerous occasions whilst carrying out hangar checks has the RAT been deployed instead of the emergency generator test being initiated, the question I am asking is why should that system need to be live on the ground ? You would hardly want to deploy the RAT in 'anger' whilst on the ground now would you ????