PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Phone ATIS
Thread: The Phone ATIS
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2007, 14:39
angelacr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAWS

Well, I take the points of all you 24 hour TAFers; I just work a bit differently, apparently.

I use my desktop the morning of my flight to check everything is ok weatherwise. I use the met office forms 214/215 for an overview. And also I do a TAF and METAR lookup for the route of the journey. Then when I need to return, only then do I use my mobile. And, for me, a short range TAF is more than adequate in that situation.

I'm not sure I would want to rely on a 24 hour forecast to the very last, without checking for updates. Just goes to show we all have different approaches.

Historically, I started YAWS for my own use when channel hopping. I could never feel happy at some French airfield that lacked a computer terminal, not knowing the TAFs at home. I still only tend to use my mobile only for the return flight. Just rarely I use it as a last-minute-before-I-fly-check on days when the weather looks a bit strange.

Since I now know at least 4 of you want 24 hour TAFs I'll look a bit harder to see if it can be added to YAWS.

And thanks, Guys, for the kind coments! Keep spreading the URL!

Angela