PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirate Advice: EK drivers only
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2007, 10:11
kokkos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are leaving SA (not SAA) for the following reasons:
1. Direct threat of crime on your family.
2. You can not find a flying job in SA.
3. You need a new start for some serious reason.
.....then leave and join EK.

3 ex-SAA guys are leaving EK to return to SA to fly for new/ low cost airline.
These guys were training (1 CRM) captains earning 40000 basic + 11800 housing (1 lived out) + 7400 (training pay for 2).
So ask this: A senior trainer clearing Dhs63000 (126000 Rand) leaves EK, to go to SA for 40000 Rand /month?
You will join on half that as a newbie. That is what you already earn in SAA after 10 years NETT!
When you put 2 or more ex-SAA, EK guys together. After the 3rd beer they talk about the good guys in SAA and how they miss the SAA days.
Financially you will be better off in the long run, if you stay in SAA.

You will join EK at # 2000. That means there must be 4000 pilots for you to be near a command. You do the math.

My advice is stay in SA. Maybe leave SAA if things go bad, but stay at home. In your own house, with REAL friends and family around you. Enjoy a civilized country. I know, even a 3rd world place like SA, makes this place look like a feudal system.
Stay where you have legal rights, a union, good weather and your children have an identity.
Enjoy the 4 seasons, rugby, and good braais.
You can work until you are 65 without uprooting your family.
Enjoy the company and good working environment you have. With some of the best guys in aviation in the world.

I can say all these things on PRUNE, but face to face I will tell you my net worth and salary in rands. How most ex-SAA guys are 340/777 trainers. 15 years ahead of their time in SAA.

But in my heart only I know the truth: I SHOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT SAA!!!!