PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Not above 500ft'
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 14:11
HEDP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brian,

My 1st post was certainly refering to VFR operations where on three close airfields with differing elevations you had to be aware of different altitudes for crosswind, base leg and downwind as well as arrival and departure altitudes. This meant at least 8 different altitudes had to be at hand to fly in three different circuits. Most certainly more reference required to heads down info rather than eyes out in the circuit. A difference to IFR operations I admit.

It seems we have differing experience of deployed ops, for example an AT location may adhere to host nation procedures but Tac ATC in more austere locations work on QFE. A difference in requirement and situations guess.

You miss my point about the Kinloss/Lossie red herring. Whether QFE or QNH it will be the pressure reference of the master airfield therefore regardless of setting, it will be from an airfield some distance from the other. In this instance whatever is used there may be an innacurracy by virtue of the distance and therefore pressure differential whether common QFE or QNH. It was your comment that it utter nonsense to have a common QFE but your subsequent post counteracts that line by stating that a common QNH would be better. The same innacuracy would be present in either.