PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MID-AIR Collision experience (almost).
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 06:32
topdrop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1/ North of Armidale on solo nav exercise, sighted an aircraft with trail behind opposite direction on descent - thinks, what's an ag plane doing dropping his load from such a height (about 2000agl) Suddenly realised it's getting close real quick - I immediately turned left, as it was going to pass on my right - It was an F111 on descent to low level - passed about 100 metres away same level. I had to divert back to Armidale due wx - after landing I got the shakes for a while from just thinking about it.
Coffs Flight Service had done broadcasts on the F111 as 400 agl, so I thought I was well clear - this one had obviously gone up to his lsalt and when regained VMC was on descent again.
2/ At Tamworth, I'm on left base 21, a C310 inbound from SW had been instructed to overfly field and then track for left base, report base. 310 calls base. I hadn't sighted it overflying and I'm looking left and right behind me for this 310, can't see it. Face the front and there it is on right base pointing straight at me. Tower noticed the f***up about this time and instructed the 310 to turn left immediately.