PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MID-AIR Collision experience (almost).
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 02:08
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mate you seem to attract a lot of trouble

Its an interesting topic, one I had was early solo, training area, and a small Skyfox tail dragger went straight past me on an opposite track at the same level within 100-200 feet, and even in two slow machines, they sure appear fast, obviously two small machines are harder to see.

Second and more serious, 4 miles or so from the strip, descending orbits, nobody around at all, and IFR C421C came blasting thru the CTAF with no radio call, having just left class C and in contact with either ATC, and I had just passed thru his level and orbited 100 feet below max, and 300 feet abeam as he went past. He did not see me at all. I saw them, I could read the rego and the company insignia on the tail.

Funny part was.......the pilot is now a good mate, the owner and pax is one of my biggest customers, and they were quite surprised when I phoed them up 15 min later when on the ground.

Sad part is, while they did not call as they should have, they were in radio contact with ATC and my transponder was working, I checked immediately with BNE RAD, I would have thought that ATC would have passed traffic info to them as there track was right through my orbits and I had done about 3 while descending 1500 feet before hand.

Learnt a lot as a result and as an ex AN captain and an aerobatic guy and former instructor, I have had much useful flying experience with my potential killer since!

J