PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MID-AIR Collision experience (almost).
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2007, 01:09
Ovation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MID-AIR Collision experience (almost).

We’ve probably all had potential Mid-Air collisions and I would be interested to see other contributions;

Here are the instances where I’ve had close calls, which I broadly define as same altitude, opposite direction and only spotted when too late for evasive action.

OUTER HARBOUR SA in CTA - Opposite direction Cessna 210 same level 200 ft no time to avoid.

LATROBE VALLEY VIC in circuit – on mid downwind a Chipmunk crossed right to left at circuit height doing a roll, then spiraled down to land ahead of me.

35M WEST of MELBOURNE in CTA – Opposite direction about 200’ to the right Crop-Duster (big yellow thingy) same level, but get this – it was at 10,000 ft. I thought these guys would get a nosebleed over 500’.

GRIIFITH on Final at about 50’ – Another big yellow thing took off opposite direction and peeled off to the right at about 150’ AGL.

Apart from the first mentioned which was a breakdown in ATC or someone just barged through. The other incidents were a mix of ignorance and bravado. They may get away with it 99.999% of the time, but they take enormous risks doing so.