PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a fast, affordable, IFR single...
Old 16th Sep 2007, 00:04
ForkTailedDrKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lostpianoplayer

V-tail Bonanzas

1. What are the best models of the BE35? One might argue that the latest model is the best. The V35B is generally acknowledged as the best cause it is the most advanced and has the highest Max TOW. I think the S model is considered the fastest. Because the V35B has the highest gross wt it also has the biggest C og G issues.

2. How fast? How long is a piece of string! Depends how you fly it. I rarely fly mine below 8000', for two reasons. 1) In my part of the world you generally have to get up high to get a reasonably smooth ride, and 2) I am usually looking for good range with comfortable IFR reserves.

My Bo is a 1977 V35B with a recently rebuilt IO520B and a Scimitar prop. It is well equipped with avionics but does not have an all cyclinder engine monitor so I do not fly it LOP. I fly it by-the-book at 25o ROP on the EGT.

I climb it at 2500/25" or full throttle. It holds 25" to about 5000'. It consistently does 10,000' in 12 min at gross weight. Burns about 72l/hr in the climb.

I generally cruise it on 2300/full throttle (which is 21" at 10k) and 25o ROP. This is about 65% power - gives me a TAS of 160 kts and burns 50l/hr for an endurance of 5.25 hr (with a climb to 10k) and a nil wind range with 1 hr reserve of 680 nm. If I pull it back to 2200/21" (full throttle) at 9 or 10k, the TAS comes back to 155 kts and the fuel burn drops to 45l/hr giving about 6hrs endurance.

I guess at full throttle height (5000?) and 2500 it will do maybe 165 or better and burn 60l/hr.

3. Any reason to get or avoid turbocharging? I have no experience of the turbonormalising of which Chuck speaks. For the sort of flying I do where I am generally below 10,000', my only eperience with turbocharging in a single was a turbo'd C182RG. In my hands it was no faster than the normally aspirated model and used 15l/hr more fuel. I have no use for turbocharging, don't know about turbo-normalising, but if putting together my ideal V35B would opt for an IO540.

4. No

5. Any tricks to look out for? What Chuck says! If the tail mod has been done you can forget the crap about the tail falling off them. Even before the tail mod was done you had to totally loose control of the aeroplane first to break it. Yes, you need to pay attention to flight control balance after repaint etc to avoid flutter issues. Spar web cracking, wing bolt inspections, crankcase cracks in IO520s. Get it inspected by a LAME who knows Bo's and have it maintained by same.

6. Any other fast singles you'd recommend? A36, Mooney, C210.

7. Anyone running a Bo LOP? No not me. Chucks your man.

8. Other thoughts? Hmmmmm - Yeah lots! I'll just take the Boss shopping and then get back to you.

Dr

Last edited by ForkTailedDrKiller; 16th Sep 2007 at 01:15.