PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a fast, affordable, IFR single...
Old 15th Sep 2007, 15:54
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Standard V35s are not 4-6 seater...with any significant fuel they are 3 seaters. CofG is a fairly critical issue in a V tail and they do wag their tails a lot which can be VERY sick inducing for rear seat pax.

Turbonormalising, vs turbocharging, can get you above most weather and seems to have no real detrimental effects on engine life....because rather than producing lots more power/heat you're merely maintaining normal sea level MP to a critical altitude up around FL200....cooling becomes a issue up high but the liquidaire baffles, or D Shannon equivalent, fix it.

What you can do is improve on the V35 with STCs.

Turbonormalising/3 bladed prop corrects the CofG issues to a great extent but the extra weight obviously eats into usefull load. Tip tanks give back that usefull load ++ by way of a MTOW increase of 200 (or is it 300lbs?) depends on the model I think. Turbonormalising gives a MTOW increase too but the two are not cumulative. There are several models of electronic yaw damper that address the tail wiggle effectively.

I know TNIO550b A36s TAS around 205 kts LOP in the low to mid teens...I would think a V35b would also...perhaps a little better.

As to what TAS my A36 gets now LOP well around 165...I am just having GAMI Liquidaire baffles installed and fully expect to get more but how much more remains to be seen...I'll get back to you when I get to fly her next in a month or so...I will be a little surprised if it isn't up around 175+.

As to what to look for?

Spend any amount of money necesary to ensure no internal corrosion is present in any Bonanza you're serious about buying. Spar web cracking is another potential issue easily checked for. With V tails obviously the mod that stops the tail ripping off is essential. This mod essentially anchors the V tail leading edge in place and has dramatically reduced the incidence of in flight break up of V tails...although be aware the incidence is still not zero. Flutter is still an issue with V tails and can cause enormous damage to the rear fuselage...it is a flight controls balance issue seperate to the tail ripping off issue.

The handling is so good that they can be a little more challenging IFR...a good A/P is essential...roll stability is fairly neutral.

What else?

C210 carries more a little slower with gravel truck, by comparison, handling...very stable IFR.

Piper Lance (Straight tailed variety only) carries more again, slower again...but they are cheap.

Really...in my view...the only alternative is a A36. It has very nearly the same lovely handling of the V35 but with non of the V35 issues. Asthetically there is just no comparison to the 210 and Lance

A TNIO550 powered, Tip tank equiped A36 will carry 4 full sized adults and a shed load of bags 1100nm at 200Kts+ with good IFR reserves.

I know the V35s look like sex personified and has a cult like following but the A36 is a LOT better aeroplane in all respects.