PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook Pilots set for Industrial Action ?
Old 14th Sep 2007, 21:57
NACUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hudd,

The figure 73 is now on the Balpa web site which I understand is the reduced number after the initial consultations. It may even fall further.

Please explain your rationale for no job losses. The fleet size is being reduced by 4 aircraft and the combined airline, especially the long haul fleet, will be able to operate more efficiently. Out of interest there are quite a number of pilots hoping for a generous redundancy package and if the Company has any sense they will provide one. Others will see it as an opportunity and take the package on offer and move to pastures new. 4 years ago no individual was made compulsory redundant from MYT and I expect the same will happen this time.

All of us in MYT, me included, and TCX face an uncertain and difficult few months while we wait for all the issues surrounding the merger to be announced.

Please don’t demean the cadet pilots. All those that remain have done extremely well and operate to very high standards. Balpa agreed to a limited number as part of the pilot work force. All of them will be seeking alternative employment this winter.

You seem to indicate that companies do not have to make a profit. They are a necessary evil. Try asking those individuals who worked for over 70 UK airlines that have gone bust in the last 50 years and were forced to seek alternative employment. No company has a god given right to exist.

One area that we may agree on is that management bonuses are excessive and on many occasions are not justified. Unfortunately, most of management within British industry is inflicted with this disease.