PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 21st Jun 2007, 20:33
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live in the same town that is home to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection's Academy, and although the Department's airframes aren't based here, they do a lot of work (training and staging) out of the facility. This morning I saw them doing some slung load training with chaps hanging out the sides of the helicopter, but wasn't close enough to get any good shots. I went by there at lunch time and the helicopter was parked and everyone was enjoying a nice picnic lunch.

This particular UH1H is apparently a retired EH1X. In all my (many) years, I believe the CDF's aircraft are generally the best kept I've ever seen among government helicopter or fixed wing fleets (with the possible exception of the Presidential VC25s and helicopters)--especially stunning when you keep in mind that they use them in fighting big old forest fires. And they come off as a highly professional group as well. A pleasure to work with.

Continuing to bridge the expanse between you nice eggbeater types and us nasty-ars'd controllers, I remain,

--Dave