PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 10th Apr 2007, 20:49
tropicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kaman

Kaman was alwasy a different kind of a manufacturer. I guess SAS and Nick would have seen quite a few of those Kaman HH43 Huskie's out in Vietnam with the 38th Air Rescue and Recovery Squadron. They were known as Pedro's and they still have their own website:
HH43 Huskie
The unusual thing about the Huskie is that the rotors were controlled by servo flaps. I don't know anyone who flew one, but I did have a friend who flew another unusual helicopter, the Sud Ouest Djinn. Sud Ouest, later became Aerospatiale and then Eurocopter. Hiller and Sud Ouest were both developing tip jet helicopters in the 1950s and 60s. The Djinn was different from the Hiller in that it used a cold flow jet system, where compressed bleed air from the turbine was ducted through the rotor blades and exhausted through nozzles at the tips to spin the rotor. It was the only tip-jet helicopter to enter commercial service and some were used for crop spraying in the 1960s:

The Hiller Flying Crane concept, which was in development about the same time, was never commercially produced: