PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 10th Sep 2006, 22:52
Big Bucks Bernie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Polar First Expedition

PILOTS TO COMPLETE THEIR CHALLENGE!

Helicopter pilots Jennifer Murray and Colin Bodill have confirmed that they will attempt to complete the journey they set out on two years ago - the journey that ended so abruptly in a near fatal crash on the Ronne Ice Shelf in Antarctica.

They launched their record attempt to be the first pilots to fly a heicopter around the world from Pole to Pole in October 2003, but 58 days into their journey and two days after reaching the south pole, they crashed in whiteout conditions at 01.00 GMT on Saturday 20th December. Both pilots sustained serious injuries and their crash was reported by media around the globe. Many might have called it a day after such an experience but Jennifer and Colin are determined to complete the challenge.

Colin and Jennifer pictured at the bottom of the world (a.k.a. the South Pole)

"We’ve always said we’ll complete the journey and that’s exactly what we’re going to do – we’ve got ‘unfinished business," Jennifer says. "Happily many of our previous sponsors are as keen as we are to see this unique journey completed, so with their support, together with some new ones, we’ll be aiming to complete the journey in 2007."

Jennifer continues – "There is an exciting addition to this trip. We will be working in partnership with the Royal Geographical Society (RGS) and coordinating with the International Polar Year giving a core group of schools along the route and children world wide the opportunity to share our great adventure on a journey they will never forget. The RGS will be hosting our schools microsite -‘Passport to the Poles,’ whilst Colin and I will provide the dynamic link.

Source: http://www.polarfirst.com/
I remember checking the team's progress on a daily basis from the day they started in New York until that fateful day on which their expedition came to a rather abrupt and unexpected halt two years ago. Just as I did then, I still think this is one of the most exciting aviation expeditions to take place in a long time.
I'm also really glad to see that Jennifer and Colin are planning on completing the expedition, albeit two and a bit years later than expected and with a new helicopter.