PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 6th Mar 2004, 06:22
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

Ned,

$$$$$$$$$$ Current helicopter fare would be 4 times YMML - YSSY fare with Virgin!!

The original was more an accounting device to cover Reg Ansett's personal taxi, upgraded mid 70's (?) to a Bell 206. Ansett moved then to Tullamarine from Essendon, and also built the Ansett office block in town, with an S61N capable rooftop pad. Melbourne City Council prevented its use, and to this day it has never been (officially) landed upon. Although I confess to lightly touching the skids on one occassion when I was cleared to hover over it Later this year (maybe 2005) the rooftop pad will disappear forever, with another two stories to be built onto it. Bit of a flap recently when the current owners found the fuel lines to the roof were still charged with Jet A1 .

Reg generally commuted from his property down near Mornington, and the Yarra Pad still exists, having been upgraded to a 2 pad unit, and sold to Jayrow, then Microflight.

Ansett's hangar at Essendon is the one I currently operate from, and we still have Reg's ghost keeping an eye on things