PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 6th Mar 2004, 01:56
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
imabell
Re your Bell 47 photograph/model query on the previous page:

I think it's a 47H-1 but, I know nothing about old helicopters and the very little I've learned has only been since falling in love with the Bell 47 after flying a couple at Blue Ridge Helicopters (Virginia) and Dutch Country Helicopters (near Philadelphia) last summer.
Here are some pictures of the H, J and K. See what you think.

Bell 47H-1

The H was a deluxe version of the 47G. Larry Bell is sitting in the middle.

Bell 47J

In 1957, a Bell 47J became the first Presidential helicopter. (The one in the photo, now in the National Air and Space Museum, Washington.) But not for long. Later in the same year, President Eisenhower had an unscheduled ride in a Sikorsky UH-34, liked the extra cabin space and the 47J was relegated to carrying VIPs and the Vice-President!

Bell 47K

The 47K appears to have been a limited production variant of the J, made for the US Navy as an instrument trainer. It had the basic 47J airframe from the firewall back, but with a modified cockpit.

Front view

Where's Lu Zuckerman when you need him?
He probably worked on all three models when they were the latest 'state of the art' helicopter.

FL

(Edit)
After relating a piece of American helicopter history, I thought the least I could do was find something Australian out of respect for you!

This float-equipped J was an experiment by Ansett to provide an airport to city helicopter shuttle between Essendon Airport, Vic. and a floating helipad in Melbourne's Yarra River. It worked and continued for 20 years until 1980, after which Reg Ansett used the helicopter for personal commuting.