PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorheads Around the World (incl 'Views from the Cockpit')
Old 27th Nov 2003, 06:07
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
Photo`s

A few photos from a miss-spent youth:

Whirlwind 10, a UK licence-built version of the S-55, with a single T-58/Gnome.
The t/rotor decided to go walk-about, taking the gearbox with it, and the Cof G went out over the nose; in formation at the time, after an engine change in the jungle!

Whirlwind 10.
I'd given my 1/2 frame camera to an Aus Padre to take a few pics on patrol, on a 5500ft mountain; the cloud closed in as he fell over taking this; I nearly fell off the pad laughing.

Tailless returns to base courtesy of a 66 Sdn Belvedere.
Bristol Belvedere, twin engined, each engine under each rotor, intakes at the bottom, as it was built to a Navy spec and then they declined, using Wessex 1's instead, so it was given to the Air Force. As you can see, I provided them with plenty of work. In Borneo it was known by the locals as the "flying longhouse."

Another one I prepared earlier- en-route to a carrier we had an engine run-down about a mile off-shore at about 12-1500ft; we made it to the beach but the nose dug-in and the tailboom got broken.I had about 6 pilots on board at the time and got lots of advice!!! Lots of thanks afterwards as nobody was injured.
This was a week after the t/r saga!!

This is HMS Albion with WX5`s who picked us up off the beach.

13 months later I had a compressor surge at about 30kts as we were approaching a 1500ft LZ, new pilot flying, I'm relaxed one moment then hands/feet everywhere, 180 turn and aim for the only hole I think we can reach, flare like f**&k between the trees and end up in a bog of broken trees, hence the broken t/boom!!

Day off for the troops; couple of crates, bottle of rum, pref Ghurka, gun, radio, shoot a few coconuts, pour in rum, lie on beach; and I went back this year and it`s still the same, except for a few houses and you have to buy the coconuts!!

There`ll be some more later -- Sycamore