PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France seeks to Rejoin NATO Military Force
Old 14th Sep 2007, 00:03
Airborne Aircrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In terms of NATO they really don't have "allies".

The French have, clearly, chosen to go their own route for their own reasons for a few decades now. Their "route" has been proven to be a route that has conflicted with many of NATO's initiatives. Now, all of a sudden, they want to play...

If Europeans chose to "accept them back into the fold" I believe you will see exactly why the "Freedom Fries" attitude came to be.

The French are the _most_ cynical bunch of weiners in Europe. They "opt out" of NATO, (thus saving themselves billions of francs in "contributions"), while being surrounded, (and therefore protected by), NATO countries. They wouldn't have done that had they bordered a Warsaw Pact country in the first place.

They have lived off NATO for decades, protected by us, at no cost. When they carry the burden of NATO, in it's entirety for five years, (men, equipment and money), and do it effectively without intervention by the rest of us then they should be considered for entry to NATO.... Until then I believe NATO should grant free passage to France for anyone who choses to attack them... That's not unreasonable... They can't be allowed to hide behind us... But they could pay us to not allow that "free passage".

I have $1000 says they would run if given that "deal"... and it is a good deal for the protection they have had!!!