PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2007, 11:53
barneythedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 737-700 (which is the variant based in Aberdeen) is arguably the most sought after of all the 73 variants since it has the best range. I am under the impression that they needed the Aberdeen aircraft elsewhere for the winter. Perhaps the BAA just didn't do enough to make it worth Globespans while to stay.

think you'll find the 737-700 Flyglobespan have is not that sought after - it has a fairly similar fuel burn to the 800 as it has the same engines - the cost per seat is therefore vastly higher

barneythedog

Quote:
It doesn't matter about loads it's how much they can charge that matters and Flyglobespan from Aberdeen need a decent yield. He won't get this at Aberdeen during the winter as he does not have a based aircraft
Bear in mind that the aircraft was going to be based over the winter. I can't imagine that the loads have nosedived from the current levels that I am led to believe are high. If Globespan can't make a decent yield with their fares then the BAA at Aberdeen must be a factor.

Loads will have plumetted - Europe in the winter is a nightmare for the charter market with limited places you can fly - the winter market TD serves from Edinburgh is successful ie Prague/Geneva - historically this has been terrible from Aberdeen and obviously continues to be so.

Quote:
The fares Flyglobespan is charging have been kept high and people have not booked.
I will think you will find the high fares are a function of supply and demand. I have seen rock bottom fares - providing you book early! However as seats fill up the fares rise!

The economics of an airline dictate that if you don't get the revenue then you shouldn't fly - TD is learning this very quickly. The revenue required to successfully fly the Aberdeen flights is high so the number of low fares are small. Cabin crew and Flight crew need holiday so crews would need to be sent north again increasing cost. The aircraft will probably be due a maintenance check again increasing downtime.

Quote:
They took a risk and it failed.
Mmmm I would like to see how profitable the summer season has been - Failure... mmm I would be very surprised!

I was referring to the winter schedule

Quote:
Flyglobespan is not low cost it is no frills - there is a significant difference
Again... supply and demand has ensured that cheap seats go very quickly.

As I said above Flyglobespan has not a great deal of cheap seats

Quote:
As for the other 'issues' then surely taxis are down to congestion on Dyce drive:
Perhaps the taxi situation is outside the remit of the BAA but normally the number of taxis is more then the number of people waiting - not the other way round. As for congestion - don't think that is a valid excuse.

Why is congestion not a valid excuse? Surely if a taxi takes 50 mins to get into town then 50 mins to get back then it can only do half then number of trips as 25 mins both ways. Hence half the number of passengers.

Quote:
check in is down to handling agents
No - it is due to the ridiculous infrastructure. To put it simply... too few desks for too many flights. The initial design of the terminal has no room for obvious expansion so they are caught in a corner with the present arrangement. The current situation of cordoning the umpteen queues resembles more of a 'conga dance' when it is busy. Ever been to an airport where you are told which queue to stand in when you enter the terminal since you have absolutely no idea otherwise???

I believe the space issue is being addressed. However if handling agents are short staffed then all the desks are not used - I have walked in there at 5am with big queues and only half the check in desks open. If a desk opens late then a queue forms very quickly. It is also the handling agents responsibilty to manage the queue - have they ever done this when you have been there??

Quote:
and the same for baggage
The main issue is the lack of facilities. It seems commonplace to have 3 or 4 domestic flights in at any one time with only one baggage belt. Again no room for obvious expansion so passengers will have to cope with this arrangement for some time yet I would expect.

Quote:
Immigration must surely be to blame for queues at international arrivals
Perhaps the lack of passport control points are to blame here. That falls under the responsibility of the BAA since they provide the facilities!

I believe this has been increased recently and will be addressed with the expansion of international arrivals however the number of immigration officers at Aberdeen is also an issue as all the desks do not seem to always be manned.

To be honest I don’t find many other airports as stressful as Aberdeen can be nowadays during the peak hours!

I have written to the BAA a couple of times with suggestions and had reasonable courteous letters in return.