PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QR - Time to command
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2007, 11:26
Qatari515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My whole point was that 5000 vs. 6000hrs does not make ANY difference.

And that contrary to what you are saying, a lot of these so called high hour FOs with lots of experience have no clue whatsoever on how to fly an airplane. They do huge **** ups as well.

Watch out, I will not generalise and there are some really good ones as well, but there are equally skilled ones among the guys with 3000hrs.
All I wanted to say is that, due to the vast difference in backgrounds of pilots in this airline, the experience as written down in a logbook does not mean a thing!
You might be one of the good guys, with lots of experience flying in different climates on different airlines; you might be one of the guys who actually did not cheat in his fly book about previous experience...

But I can tell you, a lot of these high hour FO hotshots ( same goes for lots of the captains by the way) have hugely exaggerated their previous experience, have no clue what they are doing and think they are gods greatest gift to aviation. On top of that a lot of their experience was flying useless little planes somewhere on a domestic route.
So as a company it is a very big risk to take. And I can tell you that, apart from the Qatari FOs who went political by complaining to senior management, the insurance company had something to say in this too.

Unfortunately, for an insurance company, a DEC is still safer than a new upgrade, regardless of what happened before. But somebody else already took the risk by upgrading this DEC before, so therefore the responsibility issue is of the table. For an FO to upgrade to Capt. the issue is totally different and the company itself takes the responsibility.

Is this correct: NO!
Does it makes sense: NO!
Can we change this: NO!

We still live in a prehistorically world where, as an FO, you have no value at all. You are there because legally they need someone to sit in that seat. But professionally, in this part of the world, you are a consumer commodity.

To go back to my beginning sentence

In all honesty, if you look around you, how many of the FOs you see actually have the maturity and the skills to become a good skipper? Be honest and use the same criteria you used to use in your life as a pilot before QR...

Shame but the truth....

Last edited by Qatari515; 12th Sep 2007 at 11:29. Reason: Grammar...what else?