PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 23:29
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 737-700 (which is the variant based in Aberdeen) is arguably the most sought after of all the 73 variants since it has the best range. I am under the impression that they needed the Aberdeen aircraft elsewhere for the winter. Perhaps the BAA just didn't do enough to make it worth Globespans while to stay.

barneythedog

It doesn't matter about loads it's how much they can charge that matters and Flyglobespan from Aberdeen need a decent yield. He won't get this at Aberdeen during the winter as he does not have a based aircraft
Bear in mind that the aircraft was going to be based over the winter. I can't imagine that the loads have nosedived from the current levels that I am led to believe are high. If Globespan can't make a decent yield with their fares then the BAA at Aberdeen must be a factor.

The fares Flyglobespan is charging have been kept high and people have not booked.
I will think you will find the high fares are a function of supply and demand. I have seen rock bottom fares - providing you book early! However as seats fill up the fares rise!

They took a risk and it failed.
Mmmm I would like to see how profitable the summer season has been - Failure... mmm I would be very surprised!

Flyglobespan is not low cost it is no frills - there is a significant difference
Again... supply and demand has ensured that cheap seats go very quickly.

As for the other 'issues' then surely taxis are down to congestion on Dyce drive:
Perhaps the taxi situation is outside the remit of the BAA but normally the number of taxis is more then the number of people waiting - not the other way round. As for congestion - don't think that is a valid excuse.

check in is down to handling agents
No - it is due to the ridiculous infrastructure. To put it simply... too few desks for too many flights. The initial design of the terminal has no room for obvious expansion so they are caught in a corner with the present arrangement. The current situation of cordoning the umpteen queues resembles more of a 'conga dance' when it is busy. Ever been to an airport where you are told which queue to stand in when you enter the terminal since you have absolutely no idea otherwise???

and the same for baggage
The main issue is the lack of facilities. It seems commonplace to have 3 or 4 domestic flights in at any one time with only one baggage belt. Again no room for obvious expansion so passengers will have to cope with this arrangement for some time yet I would expect.

Immigration must surely be to blame for queues at international arrivals
Perhaps the lack of passport control points are to blame here. That falls under the responsibility of the BAA since they provide the facilities!

To be honest I don’t find many other airports as stressful as Aberdeen can be nowadays during the peak hours!

Last edited by Mister Geezer; 11th Sep 2007 at 23:42.