PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It A Wonder Accidents Happen!!
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2007, 07:25
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or have you thought that maybe, for many of us who fly day in day out we can see at a glance if our own aircraft is ready for flight as we walk towards it. That it has not been banged around like the average club hack because only we fly it. That before we leave the aircraft we check it is ready for flight the next day to save the time checking it before we leave. That as experienced and regular flyers we don't need to walk around with a check list for 30 mins waggling bits that worked perfectly well on the flight in. That we are capable of checking the mags, wobbling the prop and looking at the T&P's as we taxi. That even "complex" aircraft are like twist and go mopeds to those who fly them all them time.
Famous last words.

Perhaps I'm just a timid pilot, then. I believe in a thorough preflight. Perhaps it's the controls I've found rigged backward. Perhaps it's the hydraulic failure that occured causing a nosewheel steering failure...funny, it was working last night. Perhaps it's arriving to find the elevator missing in the morning...but it was there last night...and so on. I preflight the airplane every time, as though it's my first time. Funnier yet...the longer I fly, and the older I get, the more careful I get.

You, who are so experienced you don't have to preflight, who know your airplane so well you've gone above and beyond the basic needs of safety...perhaps you just need a few thousand more hours and a few more years under your belt before you advocate such nonsense. You're going to get someone killed.