PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2007, 20:53
seafuryfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salamanca Puma Crash Site Memorial

The thread on the unfortunate Belize accident (hope you're ok guys) prompted some memories by Ppruners of the Puma accident at Salamanca, Belize, which claimed the lives of 8 UK military personnel.

Lt Alister McKillop QOHLDRS
Cpl Matthew Glasgow QOHLDRS
Cpl John Reardon RAF Odiham
SAC Colin Egan RAF Regt
Flt Lt Tony Long 230 Sqn RAF
Flt Lt Roger Whitley 230 Sqn RAF
MALM Christopher Bolam 230 Sqn RAF
Sgt Nigel Storey 230 Sqn RAF

To support BATSUB in its essential work-up programme for elements of the British Army, A regular Puma detachment, comprising of aircrew and groundcrew of 33 and 230 Sqns, has renewed its acquaintance with Belize in recent years.

The Puma det organised a visit on 26th March 2007 to view the Salamanca memorial, restore it as required, and hold a short service of rememberance for our departed brothers.

The local townsfolk were very helpful in clearing the site with the military ground party, and the accompanying photos show some of the activity before and after the memorial service. I'm sorry I don't have pictures of the service itself, as I was in the congregation. Perhaps other attendees may have more photos?

Please be assured that the personnel who lost their lives at Salamanca have not been forgotten. The memorial will be visited when we are in Belize to remind the current generation of past sacrifices, and to ensure it remains in a respectable condition.

Last edited by seafuryfan; 7th Sep 2007 at 22:45. Reason: Finger trouble caused duplicate posting: If you posted on the second thread, please re-submit - tks, SFF