PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 6th Sep 2007, 12:39
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have great respect for mil aviators. As said, they do not fly a plane like I do. Instead, they operate a plane with seamless ease while using it as a platform to support a mission.

However...

Saying that I was a little miffed when my tug pilot and I had to ditch the line at 2.5k to avoid a Tornado [flown by a trainee and instructor] who came at us from my right at high speed. Fastest diving turn I've ever done in a glider at that height. He didn't see either of us, before or after we peeled off, which of course I believe...
I do believe that FJ aviators have a slightly different perspective on flight safety, perceived risks and acceptance of risks than we as GA/private citizens have. Obviously they are paid to take risks with their own lifes and aircraft, and have to train for that. But I get the feeling that sometimes they assume that others are willing to accept the same risks.

The example above, and other examples of mil pilots busting CTRs, ATZs, parachute jump areas, glider towing fields etc, all market on the maps and, if necessary, dutifully NOTAMed, are a testament to that. I also heard a story a while ago of a few F16s cruising along the Dutch coast, who reported themselves at 1000 feet southbound. A flying club college of mine was opposite track, northbound, at 1000 feet, so he told the ATC authority that he was descending to 500 feet for vertical separation. To his great surprise (to put it mildly), a few minutes later, the mil fighters passed underneath him. Now I don't know whether the F16s coordinated their descent with the ATC unit on UHF (although their initial call was on VHF), or whether they were able to track my college on primary radar (this is a no-transponder zone), or other mitigating circumstances, but at least my collegue was not very happy with this encounter.

Sometimes it's almost as if the military in general (not just aviation) has a "get out of jail free" card and are able to pull stunts like this under the pretext of "training" without having to think about consequences for themselves or others. Maybe because as military, particularly foreign military, they are somewhat shielded from the normal retribution mechanisms of authorities like the CAA?