PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 6th Sep 2007, 00:45
Nibbler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've total respect for Mil pilots whatever they fly. It's near impossible to get a seat in the first place let alone the hard basic training and then rigours of the flying training and all for about the same pay as a FO. Then your body and soul is at the beck and call at any time of the day or night for the next 12 years or more. Told where you have to go, which can be anywhere in the world, even in to combat with little or no notice and no compassion at all for your personal circumstances.

It's very much a community lifestyle environment in the services with quite different thinking at every level and in every role. You may be able to see why opinions, behaviour and attitudes may differ from those in civvy street and the lack of mutual understanding as a result.

I can honestly say I have encountered a great deal more arrogant 'up their own as' people in the GA and Airline community than in any other walk of life. Money I suspect is the cause. As the MD of my own business, given the choice, I'd rather spend an evening in the local with a random group of services pilots than with a group of GA or Airline types any day.

Saying that I was a little miffed when my tug pilot and I had to ditch the line at 2.5k to avoid a Tornado [flown by a trainee and instructor] who came at us from my right at high speed. Fastest diving turn I've ever done in a glider at that height. He didn't see either of us, before or after we peeled off, which of course I believe....