PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training in Spain
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 23:26
moggiee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bertie Bassett - I could perhaps have phrased that better! Sorry! Let me try again.

The Spanish IR is NOT well regarded within the UK industry, either by employers, FTOs or the CAA. In general, the standard of training falls well short of that expected at/by a UK FTO and the CAA. That is the reason that FTE remains under UK stewardship with UK examiners - moving over to the Spanish DGAC would be perceived as a retrograde step and a lowering of standards. They would lose customers if they did take such a step as their UK approval is one pf their major selling points.

It IS fair to say that all of the Spanish trained people we have had through here for renewals have found it hard work due to not having a solid enough grounding in basic principles and procedures. Please note that I'm not including you in this as you did not do your IR renewal with us! However, I must reiterate in the interests of honesty that the Spanish trained IR renewal customers who've come to us have found it demanding and have needed remedial work.

This is not a reflection upon the quality of the pilot but a reflection upon the quality of the FTO and examination system that sold them short in the first place. The students attitude and application is very important - flying training is one of those "you get out what you put in" processes, but the FTO does matter and it matters greatly (in my opinion).

Last edited by moggiee; 4th Sep 2007 at 23:56.