PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advising a trainee PPL to give up?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 11:02
boogie-nicey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear oh dear, there are questions, topics and issues relating to flight training and the subsequent career path but this is beyond 'full scale deflection'.

When keywords such as house gone, wife gone and you continue with your training with little or no improvement then it's time to take a moment of pause and ask yourself some grown up and mature questions. Life is like that and we don't always get what we want, I wish I could be the best athlete in the world but that isn't possible, I wish I could have an abundance of cash coming in like some of my wealthier relatives but no joy there neither. However it doesn't mean I need to start sacrificing the essentials in life in order to pursue what may sometimes appear to be an inpractical course, that's just weak character decision making. If said wife decides that she wants said pilot to qualify commercially after just 50 hrs then it's somewhat understandable as the licencing process is more involved and lengthy than that. But when you're doing laps and not really getting anywhere, what will happen when you come across the aspects of training from your employer such as interview sim assessments, LPC they won't just expect you to do it but see who the top candidates were on the day. Thus it's an issue of relativeness who would want to race when you're at the back of the grid with only 3 wheels and almost a full minute slower than anyone else.
There are numerous other aspects to aviation that this guy could get his teeth into, piloting is just the poster boy image of the industry. After all look at RAF recuitment campaigns they always say "you don't need to be a pilot to fly in the RAF", how true is that for not just RAF, civil aviation but other avenues in life as a whole. If adults could be assessed in this day and age then this guy's claims that he's started his PPL wouldn't mean a thing compared to the significant loss he's sustained and blindly continued.
Perhaps just get into the social scene of the PPL and fly dual with an instructor for days out to another airfield or something. That way he gets to keep his head in the clouds without the pressure of training and simply enjoys the flying without the financial costs of training.

Courses, exams and tests are there for a reason in life if you're still grappling with them after a prolonged period of time then the course has just told you something that the examiner won't need to.

I wish him well and if anything stop discussing the aviation non-issue because there's nothing to note nor debate. He urgently needs to redirect his attention to life rebuilding.

Last edited by boogie-nicey; 4th Sep 2007 at 12:51.