PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security Fiasco?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2007, 07:01
daedalus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And to put the lid on all this....

The public can be forgiven for being extremely sceptical about the seriousness with which the UK authorities take security. What is happening at airports is ridiculous given the following true scenario:
Fast ferry Boulogne-Dover (50kts, one hour B to D).
Arrive Boulogne 8th August. Car with 4 pax and much luggage. Passports checked by UK lady at Boulogne. NO CHECK ON CAR OR CONTENTS (never has been, not even random - I've used this ferry many times).
Arrive Dover, drive straight off onto road system and M20. I could easily have filled the car with explosives and driven it straight into central London.
Coming back to France, each car checked at Dover, driver and pax asked to exit, luggage looked at,asked whether luggage packed onself and if carrying anything for anyone else.
Asked security chappie why there was a thorough check at Dover for exiting traffic, but none at Boulogne for traffic entering the UK.
"Ah yes sir, I know it may seem strange. Perhaps they'll get around to it in a year or two" replies security man.
When I get home, I look up the MI5 website and ring their public telephone number for security matters. Speak to MI5 agent!
as I tell him what is written above his incredulity mounts and he thanks me and says that steps will be taken.
I wonder if they have been? Anyone else been on this route more recently?
How can Joe Public take the UK government seriously when great gaping holes like this exist?
Why are 100 deaths in an aircraft worse than 100 deaths in a train, a tube or a London street?
On the one hand we have pilgrims to Lourdes being deprived of holy water because there's more than 100 mls of it or it's in the wrong shaped container,
On the other hand, fill a van with fertiliser and fuses and drive slap bang into central London, park in Whitehall or outside a very busy underground station and BANG!