PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2007, 08:17
Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A pilots perspective

Hi guys,

First off, I do think you deserve more money, and the deals on the table thus far, I believe, have been testing the waters. Bear in mind these are pay negotiations not pay demands.

Having read all the posts, there are a lot of inaccuracies, particularly with regard to the pilot work force pay deals over the last few years. We gave away many parts of our original contract to get to where we are. It has to be a game of give and take. Take time to talk to the guys on a flight or whilst downroute, most of us are behind you.

back2front:
If you look at Qantas London base they are clearing over £1500 p/m, easyjet over £1600 p/m, B.A.quite often over £2000 p/m.
You need to compare apples with apples. Speaking to a colleague downroute the other day, he mentioned he had several C/C friends in BA. Their package is different to yours in many ways. For instance they don't get private healthcare, LHR longhaul C/C can request only 2 trips a year, (& can't swap trips) and their concessions are extremely limited compared to ours - that are perhaps the best in the industry.

747jumboboi:
Also all trips should be paid equally... A 2 night LAS is not even worth getting out of bed for whereas a 1 night ORD is fantastic money.
This part of our "pay package", as I'm sure you know, are subsistence allowances. It is for food and drink whist downroute, and is based on the prices in the hotel we stay at. Obviously the menu is cheaper in LAS than ORD. This is non negotiable, and has to be approved by the Inland Revenue in the UK. That said, the IR are currently looking again at how these allowances are paid to every airline in the UK!!

As difficult as it is, try not to get too emotional, and bide your time. The strike vote will have management on the back foot now. Good luck

PS. jbflyer can we dispense with the large type face and capitals/underlining?