PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 1st Sep 2007, 23:36
funfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a fundemental difference here between military and GA pilots in that Military trainee pilots are young and filtered as educationally suitable for flight training. GA pilots are generally a lot more mature and take the decision themselves whether they are capable of flying.
I do however, have the perception that the military to some extent 'look down' on their GA colllegues. The actual flyers seem to be OK, it's the desk pilots that give you this impressionl
My own direct experience of the military has been on my visits to air bases for various training events. While the information offered is first class, I find myself very 'out of step' with the attitude, the rigid systems and a lifestyle which they seem to take very seriously - I am sure, they will defend this to the bitter end because I suppose that service life has to be regimented in order for the people in charge to have some control over their charges. But not the life for me
Funilly enough, as a pilot, I have found their Radio services very helpful and refreshing, almost as if the people are are not really 'service' at all