PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 1st Sep 2007, 14:36
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Us and them...

Normally viewed as a dot growing increasingly quickly in my windscreen.

Actually, it isn't like the title at all.

For 18 years, I had the pleasure of being associated with the most professional pilots in the world, those of the Royal Air Force. For the last 11 years, I have been in a civilian enviornment, but still fraternise occasionally with RAF types as well. This background has allowed me to see both sides from the inside, and therefore I feel I can pass some small comment.

The vast majority of mil pilots are highly trained experts, regulary practicing their trade, and able to operate in the dark and IMC, often while coping with various distractions. A large number of them also fly privately, often in their own aircraft. Most of these guys are aware that the GA community only fly infrequently, and therefore the standards of RT and general airmanship are lower than those who fly regularly for a living, be it civil or military.

However, most of our mil pilots, while occasionay frustrated by low houred, low confidence, elderly, etc GA pilots, support those in the wider, non-professional aviation community (especialy if the civvies stay away from the LFA's and MATZ's). It must be borne in mind that many of the fast jets are moving over 300 miles an hour FASTER than the Cessna's, Piper's and similar utilised by the GA community. That is five miles a minute faster. Or if you prefer, one mile every 12 seconds FASTER than you. And that is if you are already doing 120 kts or two miles a minute.

Here in our quiet backwater area of unrestricted airspace, we have an RAF training base 10 nautical away. The airspace can be busy, and occasionally, a visiting USAF fast jet punches through our zone unannounced at 100 ft and 350 kts. But, we also have C130's, Red Arrows and many others call up and are welcomed through, as well as the SAR training helo's practicing here. You see, around here our community fully support our troops around the world. Not the politicians, you understand. Just the troops. There is no anomosity or envy. Just fellow aviators recognising the abilities, skills and commitment of our professional military pilots.
As one of the previously mentioned low houred, low capability GA pilots, I consider our military pilots generally are still the best in the world and, especialy nowadays, are far more aware of aviation outside the confined military circles. Whether this is due to the increasing numbers looking towards a future out of military uniform, I cannot say.

camlobe