PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 1st Sep 2007, 12:02
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
As an RAF QFI, I taught 'baby Bloggs' of both genders to fly the Bulldog at HM's expense. Mind you, they'd been through an intensive interview process first - but NO aptitude selection. In general, these University students were first rate folk - we still have reunions many years later. A few, though, one wouldn't entrust with captaincy of a wheelbarrow, let alone a bicycle - and they were soon asked to leave. But all our students had to meet very high standards; for example, every 28 days they had to do a check ride more demanding than a SEP Revalidation LPC.

BUT - and it is a BIG but, (except for mine) they were taught very little pilot navigation - even VFR - just lots and lots of General Handing and aerobatics. Even when we finally had the luxury of VOR/DME/ILS in the Bulldog and no longer had to rely on fixing position via VDF, we weren't supposed to teach them how to use it. I did - and sent off one of my girls to do a radio navex above OVC cloud, then come back for a PAR. Everyone of my QFI colleagues thought I was mad - but I trusted her and she came back with a big smile and masses of confidence in her abilities.

As a FI, I have to train whoever comes through the door with the money. Even though some have more cash than ability, they have to fly to a safe standard. Not to the 'max rate turn on the buffet nibble' standard we demanded from our UAS students, just safe enough not to get themselves or anyone else into trouble, or to risk the aeroplane.

Most PPL students just want to join the £100 cuppa club and take their girlfriend/boyfriend/son/daughter flying for fun. Some are more serious and want to work towards a CPL and an airline career. But ALL have to pay their own way and we need to remember that. We teach them far more navigation (VFR, then radio, then, if they wish, GPS) than I was ever supposed to teach my UAS students.

Although not much in the way of low level, aerobatics or formation flying, unfortunately. But even the RAF can't afford to teach that to UAS students these days......