PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2007, 09:56
back2front

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allowances etc.

TS - I think the highest allowance issued is £90p/n so once we have purchased meals and out of pockets expenses and then converted the US$ back to UK£ there is very little to actually bring back with us to help with mortgages etc. Although out allowances might be a bit more than most when on company business I know that their basic salary will also be much higher.

You also have to remember that the allowances are not considered by banks when we go to get a mortgage so trying to get a mortgage on £11,500 basic is laughable when we have to be based at the most 2hr from London in order to get into work whilst on standby. These allowances are also not pensionable so come 65 most crew (who want to make a career out of flying) will have a very small pension to survive on.

If you look at Qantas London base they are clearing over £1500 p/m, easyjet over £1600 p/m, B.A.quite often over £2000 p/m. Air New Zealand stay at the same hotel as Virgin crew in LAX and get nearly US$100 more for the same amount of time at the hotel. Maybe Kiwi's eat more or something??

At Virgin I am only clearing around £1200 made up of basic, allowances and sector pay.

What we need is a big increase in basic pay and sector pay. I will definately be voting yes for strike action (as it will give the company a big kick up the a*se) and no to any pay deal that doesn't put us in line with the other majors. And I will vote no to any deal that has conditions attached such as removal of crew, loss of airshare etc.

No doubt the next offer will be the same with one of the conditions removed. They will try and drag this on for as long as possible. The pilots had 13 ballots I believe before they got what they wanted.

If we stick together too we can achieve a positive outcome.

Last edited by back2front; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:53.