PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pitts training?
Thread: Pitts training?
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2007, 21:46
KZ8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done my BFR with Frank at Northants School of Flying for the past few years in the Pitts and Cub and can recommend him as an excellent instructor for calm learning on the Pitts. Every flight has been a pleasure.

Life with the Davisson's in Pheonix is excellent. Great flying weather, and a very nice Pitts S-2A N8PB. Good food and excellent accomodation too if you stay at the 'B & B' (Budd and Marlene's place). Budd Davisson has been involved with the Pitts since before the prototype Pitts S-2A was built, and there is a real flavour of history when flying with Budd. The experience is a lot more than simply a check-ride in the aircraft. When I was driving him to the airfield one day, Betty Skelton (Frankman) (pilot of Little Skinker in the 1950s) phoned him to ask for Curtiss Pitts's 'phone number to say 'hello'. Budd then called up Curtiss and had a long chat. Having personnally grown up around Pitts and similar machines, I could not believe it! Talk about a front-row seat.

I think you are more likely to enjoy training on the Pitts after gaining some Cub time or equivalent. Everything is the same in the Pitts apart from the worse view, the better handling, the faster speeds and the need for more subtle control inputs. The rest is basic handling skills that can be learned in any tail dragger with a decent instructor.

There's no reason why you couldn't go straight to the Pitts, but it would be an expensive way of starting out with taildraggers. Also, you would not gain the important skills that come with flying the slower taildraggers, which teach you how to really fly.

KZ8