PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asian Pilot Shortage
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2007, 17:01
Numero Crunchero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEP savings

I don't want to get too numerical here. Just wanted to point out something not many people will be aware of. Lets compare an expat and cadet joining at 28 years old.

I have heard that the year in ADL costs CX about $1 million HKD - no idea if that is accurate or not. For the sake of argument, lets assume the LEP has a normal upgrade rate after he leaves ADL.

Currently expat SOs get housing of around $24K a month for two years. Lets assume that from 2 years until upgrade they rent/buy at the RFZ rate -$48K???

Currently(RA55) it takes around 9 years to become a captain. That means that an expat pilot would cost around $4.6million HKD in housing and another $1 million in education(2 kids).

So by the time the LEP gets to his command he has saved CX $5.6million HKD vs the expat and cost CX the course in ADL($1million?).

Assuming RA55, the LEP will save CX another $10million in housing as a captain and another $600K in EDN.

So over a career the LEP will save CX $15million (16.2m - ADL course cost) vs employing an expat.

So I know many feel the LEPs should be grateful that they were trained by CX but they save CX a lot of money unlike QF cadets!