PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Delta jet makes emergency landing in St. John's
Old 28th Aug 2007, 15:28
andy_c76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was just googling around trying to see to what extent the diversion of flight DL001 from JFK to LGW had made the news around the world, and I was linked to this discussion on this board, so… I am going to provide some answers, since I happen to be one of the passengers!

First thing first, according to what we were told, a warning light turned on suggesting that an oil leak in an engine had been detected. The engine in point was therefore turned off and the crew was to turn around and fly back towards St. John’s.
Curiously enough – and I am sure some of you professionals may enlighten me on this – we were already two hours to the E of St. John’s over the Atlantic, meaning that London was about two hours and a half away, and Ireland probably even less, yet the decision went in favour of going back for about two hours.

Anyway, upon landing we remained on board for about an hour, whilst the Delta crew handled formalities which – as I understand it – came with this Delta flight not being normally expected in St. John’s. In the meantime, accommodation was sought and provided for the families with children. We - all the remaining passengers and myself - subsequently deplaned and had to undergo the usual immigration procedure – i.e. filling in the white custom form with personal data and answering the typical questions concerning the introduction of weapons, alcohol and tobacco into the Country and so on.
Our luggage remained with Delta – or possibly with Air Canada which we were told to turn to for any information – and was later on moved to the aircraft flying in from JFK in the early afternoon.
We were then free to use the airport facilities and some of us even left the airport for a couple of hours – Saint John’s airport is very nice, clean, light and comfortable, everyone working there was lovely with us, but after all spending the whole of 10 hours there would have been a tad too much…

So all in all I guess that answers some of your questions, doesn’t it?