PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asic - The Great Con Job
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2007, 14:12
moosp

Cool as a moosp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a "foreigner" I needed an ASIC to fly GA in OZ. So I applied, and after a couple of months they wrote to me and said words to the effect, "you're foreign, we need two primary methods of ID and three secondary."

OK says I, have a UK passport for one, and as I don't have an Oz driving licence, how about a current ICAO flight crew ID card? It must show that at least some suitable background check has been done on me. (Note, ICAO card, not Company ID.)

Ooooh not in the regulations that one. Do you have an Australian utility bill with your name on it? Ummm, no. But how on earth can a utility bill have a higher security clearance than an ICAO ID? Maybe if I wear my electric bill round my neck I will be let airside?

We eventually agreed on my local DAME writing on a piece of paper with his stamp that I am who I am, and that was accepted as my second primary ID.

Pity my AME's name wasn't Osama al Charlatan or similar, which would have got Canberra going for a while...

My ASIC expires in December. Is it worth renewing or will New Labour trash the idea?