PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2007, 10:28
scoobydooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to think Most CSS's/FSM's will recognise good efforts without being prompted or a$$ kissed -indeed when you do see someone trying to ki$$ ass/suck up or saying, I have done this, I have done that - it makes some managers cringe - no I in team - indeed it could have a negative impact on the observations made by the manager for your performancemonitoring.

When someone who is just getting on with their job to a high standard and requested some feedback once at the beginning of the day and never says another word about it- I believe that is more favourable to I did this I did that crew. This would be my personal advice to anyone out there who is looking to self improve. There are other things you can do in your own time too - those with the drive and determination will figure out what these are - ask an on board manager if they have ime sure they will lend some guidance or better still your assigned teaming manager re personal development.

I personally feel 2 years is not a long time in the role of junior, some people are down the back for 4-5 years before promotion, it's only in recent years that some people have been promoted to senior quickly (fast-tracked). I personally believe that fast tracking isn't necessarily the safest thing in the world and time spent down the back and knowing everything inside out is duly noted and when someone does exceed or is outstanding it is worth making a note of it.

The role of the FSM/CSS is demanding and having time to complete performance monitoring on the crew is one of the duties which unfortunately has to come 2nd to everything else such such as customer service (though I do agree if it's not done then you are not happy in turn customer service not as good etc etc).

My tip would be ask for feedback once and just do the job to the best of your ability, try and be positive (hard sometimes I know) because more than ever it shows when you are not during a service and then things like hero forms, nice pax comments about you to onboard managers and customer services dont come back which all help

Your comment regarding making suggestions on how to make the service more efficient shows willing but remember sometimes this may put someone's nose out of joint (are you telling me how to do my job ??) not always but it's just a thought - all depends in the manner it's done I suppose - diplomacy and CRM and all that but someone may take exception to a junior telling a CSS how FSM how to do things better - sometimes better to just do what is asked of your manager of the day who is probably very busy.

Now to finish this off, now imagine trying to get feedback and performance monitoring on a flight e.g. a 600 with one less crew member (as per current pay proposal) where the CSS/FSM's will be even more busy - it will probably be even harder than it is now !!

Chin up & keep on trying

p.s. there are some odd balls out there that love having their derrières kissed but fortunately I think they are far and few between. Most recognise and issue praise where it is deserved.