PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 24th Aug 2007, 08:12
Stall Inducer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Experience and age are inextricably linked..no two ways about that" -
I have to disagree, a 25 year old Capt who has been flying since the age of 18 is infinitely more experienced than a late start who has been flying for 1 year in the RHS having started at the age of 35. Passenger perception is that the 35 year old is the more experienced but the reality is it's hours and time flying the aircraft not age. Not only this but a pilot who started training at a younger age tends to be quicker to learn then a late start. I agree with what many other have said on this page - its not the age that counts but experience AND ability. Experience doesn't always = ability just as age doesn't always = experience. With my employer you can have all the experience in the world, and on paper be ready for command but it's the command selection that decides if you also have the ability. The disturbing factor is the lack of hours quoted as 1500hrs for a jet Capt where experience is just not in the equation.