PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 320/737 25-year-old commander and 19-year-old first officer
Old 23rd Aug 2007, 16:38
JustAnothrWindScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are many factors that effect who should or should not fly as a captain. Age is one of them. However, I believe a severe selection process and then excellent training is right up there near the top also.

I was leading combat missions at age 23 as a lieutenant with captains and majors on my wing. I have also flown flight engineer and copilot at several different airlines before flying captain. The time flown with the older captains was invaluable. Simply watching how they handled things and what they did in a multitude of different instances was pure gold and could not be gotten out of a book.

I am now retired, but when still flying, as I got older I became more cautious. I became more cautious in certain situations not because of my age but because I had learned over time of the pitfalls and gotchas that waited for the more aggressive.

The actual flying of the aircraft has little to do with being a captain. Whether you are vfr or in the weather or one aircraft has a higher workload than the other. Who cares. It is just assumed that you can do it and do it well, except for the newest of pilots.

As far as the airlines are concerned, if there is somewhat a shortage of pilots then there will be young captains and quick upgrades. Nothing more than supply and demand. The seat will be filled. With experienced personnel or inexperienced, but the seat will be filled.

Last edited by JustAnothrWindScreen; 23rd Aug 2007 at 17:57.